Change Of Address Checklist
With this information, they can get in touch with you to inform you that your address has now changed and you need to notify them or they may not end up getting the letter that you sent them.
This checklist will serve as your guide every step of the way as you move from one home or apartment to another.
Local Post Office
When you move to a new home, one of the first things you’ll likely find is that your post office will not let you move the mailbox from one spot in your new home to another. In fact, there are some places where you might have to pay an extra fee or even break the lease if you want to be able to access your mail. This can be frustrating, and inconvenient, but there’s a way that you can ensure that you’ll be able to get your mail at all times, no matter where you move them. The best option for this is known as DHL delivery. Here’s how it works.
- When you move into a new home, one of the first things you’ll need to do is notify the post office that you are moving in.
- You will need to include a description of the furniture and appliances you have and what you’re packing.
- You will also need to let them know when you will be moving in and a general idea of how many rooms you will be packing. At this point, it’s still okay to contact the post office a few days in advance to check on their hours.
- When you notify them, you should know that they will begin sending out packing materials to your new home a few days in advance. After that, it gets easy.
- All you have to do is take the packing materials and unpack them at your new home.
- What this means is that you can take your mail, which you’ve already paid for, and drop it right in the mailbox of your new house. It really couldn’t be easier.
- If you’re worried about security with the new address, you won’t have any worries once you get started.
Since the post office will be able to see who’s moving in and where they are, you’ll be able to open up your new mailbox and look at your mail without worrying about whether anybody is watching you. This can help you transition into your new home with the least amount of stress.
It is important to make sure that you have informed the tax agencies about the various changes that have taken place in your life. You will need to send them a letter stating the reason and the events that took place so that they can properly document it.
- When you are notified about the tax assessments you need to ask the tax office to explain why the assessment has been made.
- You need to tell them in writing why you believe that the assessment is correct. If you cannot find the reasons mentioned in the assessment then you should ask for a review.
- In some cases, the IRS will decide on the assessment without letting you know about it. You should then ask for a review.
- At times the IRS will give you a chance to challenge the assessment.
- If you feel that there is any wrong information on your tax return then you should report this.
- If you don’t do it then you will be charged interest on the amount that you are trying to get off. There are many people who get cheated by the IRS because they do not notify them when they move. Make sure that you notify the IRS when you move so that it can take necessary action against you.
Social security administration
When you move into a new home, one of the responsibilities you have as a new homeowner is to notify the social security administration. When you move into your new home, you should send a form with a check for SSA to your new address and your new social security card. This is not required by law but if you do not send a form in, then the social security administration may contact you about it. It is your responsibility to make sure that you notify the social security administration if you move.
The social security administration uses your social security number to determine your eligibility for social security benefits, such as Medicare, Medicaid, and food stamps. If you have a social security number and you move without telling the social security administration, they could hold or cancel your benefits because they did not get your notice. They will also not get your updated information about your status, if you move without giving them notice.
So, for this reason, it is extremely important for you to know when you move that you always notify them.
Gas, electric, cable, phone and internet
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that they can take advantage of the no-fee concept simply because they have no plans to move. The sad thing is, if you do go ahead and move without cancelling your service, you will not be able to switch back. You will have to pay the fee even though the service has been cancelled. For this reason, it’s a good idea to make sure that you have a solid plan in place if you do have to move within a few months.
You may also be able to stay on top of the gas and electric rates through a subscription. Some companies allow customers to subscribe for a fixed monthly fee so that if they do end up moving, they will know ahead of time exactly how much it will cost them. This could be very beneficial for those who need to stay on top of costs.
Home or renters insurance
When you finally move into your new house, one of the most important things that you need to do is to notify your home or renters insurance company. Most people have no idea what this even means and some people do not care. They just know that their insurance companies must inform them when they move in and move out. So it is important that you are aware of the process and what is expected of you when you do not notify your company.
- It is always a good idea to let your insurance company know about any major changes that might be occurring so that they can help you with the necessary actions that need to be taken.
- This could mean that there is a fire or that someone breaks into your home.
- Notifying your company about these events can ensure that you will be taken care of in the event of any of these things.
- Many people are not aware of the fact that they are entitled to move in with someone while they are still waiting on their home or renter’s insurance to actually kick in.
- If you are living with a friend or a roommate, then this is something that you should make sure you notify your company about.
- The last thing you want to happen is to get into an accident or be involved in a crime while you are living in an apartment.
If you move quickly enough and notify your company, you will not have to worry about these things and will be able to focus on moving into your new home and getting everything ready.
Bank and credit card company
One thing that a lot of people don’t realize is that when you move, you need to notify the bank. If you don’t, the bank might find that you are trying to avoid them and therefore they won’t help with the move. The last thing you want is for them to find that you tried to avoid them and therefore they can jack you up on the cost of the move because you were not timely with your notification. It’s just like they are hiring a moving company and they are paying them to get the job done right.
There are a few different things that you need to do to make sure that you stay in contact with them after the move is complete.
- One of the easiest ways is to send them a short note every day and then give them an additional payment if you are in the process of collecting your belongings.
- This way, you are making sure that they are aware of what you are doing and if there are any issues, you will have money to pay them out.
- The other thing that you should do is to make sure that your credit card is active after you move. This means that you should always be able to pay off your balance before it gets higher.
- If you have not used your credit card for a while, it may be a good idea to call them and find out if you can still make the payments.
- Many companies are happy to work with you to get you started with no charge at all. You should also make sure that you have a copy of your bill in the mail when you move. This way, if anyone claims something that you did not make, you can show them the invoice so they will have proof of who paid what.
Friends and family members
One of the biggest advantages that you will get when you do a quick house move is the ability to notify your friends and family members of your move.
- There is something special about being able to let people know that you are moving, even if the move is just across the parking lot.
- In some cases, you may be able to notify your old school or high school friends as well.
- This is because many of them may be aware that you have moved, but they might not be aware that you are changing addresses.
- The best way for this to work out is to inform all of these people of your move.
- Another great thing about being able to notify people about your move is that it will help you keep in touch. You will be able to keep in touch with your friends and family members about where you are at with your move.
- You will also be able to let them know that you have moved into your new home. This is something important because it keeps the people who you care about happy. It is very common for people to get homesick after a move.
- The last thing you want to do is have people assume that you are going to be staying in the same house as they know that you are moving to another house. This can happen if you don’t let them know about your move.
It is important for you to notify your friends and family members when you move so that they know that you are now in a new place. It may not be convenient for you, but this is one of the most important things that you need to do.
Individual service providers
When you move into a new house or apartment, you have to notify the individual service providers of your address. This is to make sure that they are in a position to deliver the service at the new address. It is not uncommon for some service providers to charge you for informing them of the change in address and you will find that there are some who charge you by the month. The best way to inform them is by sending an email or calling them.
- You should also inform the provider of any other additions that have been made to the house. This ensures that the address is accurate and that the change has been made accordingly.
- If you move out before informing the provider, you will find that they are unable to enter the house to deliver the service.
- If they are able to enter the house, the delivery will be made at the new location and the charges will also be affected.
- It is important that you inform them when you move in so that they are able to enter the house and deliver the service as per your instructions.
- If you move out in bad weather, you should ensure that you inform the provider so that they are able to transport your things to the new home. This ensures that you do not have to pack your belongings and drive them somewhere else in bad weather.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to move seamlessly with the help of the various moving companies.
Contact our moving company at Melbourne for a stress-free move.
Contact our moving company in Melbourne for a stress-free move. You can trust us to transport your belongings with care and in one piece ensuring they reach their new home safely and securely. Our acclaimed and professional moving service is the best way to ensure that your possessions reach their new home safely without any worries. With this in mind, you will find that this moving company can provide you with an on-time move with no breaks or delays in case you have some unexpected guests.
Whether it be in a van, truck or car, you are sure to be comfortable throughout the entire moving process. With special trucks designed just for larger items or pets, a move can be made safely and quickly. With expert drivers on hand to take care of any concerns that may arise along the way, you are sure to be secure. Our efficient staff can make arrangements for a driver to meet you at the new address to make the necessary arrangements for the move.
Contact our moving company in Melbourne at +1300554516. Whether it be in a truck, van or car, you are guaranteed to be comfortable throughout the entire moving process. With special trucks designed just for larger items or pets, a move can be made smoothly and safely. With expert drivers on hand to take care of any concerns that may arise along the way, you are sure to be safe and secure.